Saturday 1 June 2013

Going Live: Livestreaming on Twitch.tv

Greetings avid blog readers. As the title suggests, I have ventured to the lands of livestreaming via Twitch.tv. I tried it out this morning, whilst playing Super Puzzle Platformer Deluxe, and all seems to be working ok.

Initially it was a bit of hassle to get streaming, especially at an acceptable framerate, as the PC I have at the moment can just about manage to stream the lesser CPU-draining Indie games.

If you're unaware of livestreaming, I'll give you a quick rundown of what it's all about: Livestreaming is when media is broadcast over the internet, live and as it happens, for everyone to watch from their PCs and mobile devices, it's as simple as that. Streams encompass all kinds of media from concerts and events (the 2012 Olympics and Felix Baumgartner's Stratos Space jump), to personal vlogs, but we're here to talk about gaming. Livestreaming of game content has rapidly increased over the last few years, with individuals streaming their live gamplay across the world to thousands of viewers at a time. Large gaming tournaments becoming evermore the norm with League of Legends, Call of Duty and Dota 2 amongst some of the top games to be streamed.

Livestreaming is growing and I don't see it slowing down any time soon. It's becoming my own preference to watching regular TV - I even watched the Sony PS4 and the Microsoft Xbox One reveals live over Twitch. At first I was a little aprehensive of it all, "Who would enjoy watching other people play games online, when i could just be playing them myself?"... well, thousands, if not millions of people enjoy it everyday, and I'm now one of them! I've watched a handful of  live Dota 2 tournaments, which are brilliantly entertaining, and have even helped me to pick up some handy in-game tactics for when I am playing it myself.

There are plenty of top channels to choose from, with MANvsGAME being one of my personal favourites. Many pro gaming teams, and members of those teams, regularly stream, offering up advice and tips for their chosen games. With chat a chat room linked to the streaming channels, viewers can ask questions and offer suggestions, with answers and feedback being returned in realtime, which gives great insight into their lives and offers up interactivity and engagement with the fans that you'd struggle to find anywhere else.

You should definitely give it a chance, as I'm sure you'll find at least one channel that piques your interest. But to get you started, I've offered up a list of some channels below:



Check out my channel here - hopefully once I get into the swing of it I will be updated and streaming regularly, so keep an eye out.


Do you watch any livestreams? Which are your favourites? Do you have any ideas for classic or Indie games which you think I should stream?

No comments: